There may be cases when you want to distribute additional documents, like manuals with your post. For example, on a Knowledge Base post you might want to attach a manual in pdf format.
Fortunately, with WordPress it is really simple and built-in function.
Attach a PDF (or some other format) file to a post like this:
- Go to the page or post where the link to your document will be added (create a new page or post if necessary).
- Locate your cursor precisely where the text link will be placed (but don’t type any text).
- Click the Add Media button (above the editing toolbar buttons).
- Click Select Files or drag your PDF file into the dotted box. Your PDF document will be imported into the WordPress Media library.
- Once the uploading/crunching process has completed, enter the text you require (for the link on the page) in the Title box (see image below for reference).
- Under ATTACHMENT DISPLAY SETTINGS choose Link To Media File. This ensures that text added to your post will link to the file you have just uploaded.
- Click the Insert into Page/Post button
- Don’t forget to press the Update or Publish button to finish.
For further information about attaching and linking PDF files to WordPress posts and pages, see this tutorial on WPmadesimple.